Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Wood Top - Blue Legs


 This one turned out better than I imagined....


So my friend messaged me and said "Hey, I have this table for you, just take it or I'm throwing it away... I'll drop it over at your house."  My favorite kind of table... FREE!


It was in decent shape, but the color, Oy! So very orange.  The 90's were a hard decade for furniture, if you ask me.

So... what to do.... Stain the top & paint the bottom!  I've had great luck with this stripper, so it has become my go-to.   






Waiting for it to work... I'm not the most patient person in the world.



I let the stripper sit for an hour and it came off like a dream!






All cleaned off and washed down.  I let it dry overnight before sanding and staining.






I sanded with a 150 grit, then a 220 to make it nice and smooth to the tough.  I didn't work on getting out too many scratches out because I wanted it to look a little pallet/planky/barnwood esque.
I used Minwax Dark Walnut stain and did 2 coats. Once dry, I taped off the legs and sprayed on 2 coats of polyurethane spray in Satin finish.
I used polyurethane spray instead of Annie Sloan wax, because wax would make a foggy finish over the stain.  Not sure of the chemistry behind it, but I have had it happen with this stain before ;)
   


So the top was done... What color should I paint the legs?






I'm sure you'll be shocked here... Annie Sloan "Duck Egg" it is!


I then distressed and waxed the legs.  


A good view of the stained top.


I could have sold this table 5 times over already.  She now resides with an old college pal, Chris. 


Wood top with painted legs seems to be a trend right now.  What do you think of it?  Feel free to post links in the comments to any success stories you have had with wood/paint combos!

Linking up here:
http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2013/06/inspire-me-linky-party-15/



No comments:

Post a Comment