Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chevron Top Side Table

To date, this side table is one of my favorite pieces.  It now lives in my friend Lauren's house. 

Here is the before pic.  I found this one at my local Estate Sale Store.  It's always hit or miss.  This particular day, I left with 3 tables. Yay!

I have had this table for probably 3 months and just wasn't sure what to do with it.  Sometimes you just have to wait for them to tell you.   No, I'm not crazy! 


The Process...
I painted the whole table with an off white that I made mixing Annie Sloan Chalk Paints in "Pure White" with a small amount of "French Linen" the make the white not so stark, but still pretty white.  Once dry, I made a 2 inch grid on the top of the table.   


Then I started taping the diagonal corner to corner.  THIS PROCESS IS TEDIOUS, BUT SOOOO WORTH IT!  I had lots of help from my littles.   ;)


Then I taped the other way.  I told you... tedious.


Then I took a straight edge and a blade and CAREFULLY & GENTLY cut out the chevron pattern. I did this one in 2 sittings because my kids were bugging me to take them to the park.  :) 


Doing it this way makes a very clean pattern.  I haven't tried using a stencil, but might attempt it after this.  I then painted Annie Sloan "Duck Egg" on top and painted the lower shelves solid duck egg blue. 






I removed the tape once I finished painting, while still wet. carefully.  Make sure to have a place to put your painty, messy tape, like a plastic Walmart bag or something.   


 Once dry, I went to town distressing it.  Then I waxed with Clear Annie Sloan wax and buffed to shine.  This one turned out better than I imagined!


So... Is chevron a short-lived trend or here to stay?  Who out there hast attempted to chevron something in your home?  Any tips?

Linking up here:
http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2013/06/inspire-me-linky-party-15/

No comments:

Post a Comment