They tried to fill it with glue, I think. At least that's what it looked like. I fix that spot and there were quite a few places that the veneer was chipped that needed filled, making this buffet a perfect candidate for paint!
The top was a beautiful medium brown color, and was in pretty decent condition. So, I sanded down all of the scratches and gave it a new coat of poly acrylic.
Then I went to work filling in the chipped veneer areas.
Once I was done sanding these areas smooth, I went to work with some paint!
I chose Country Chic Paint in Vanilla Frosting. A warm, creamy white.
I've been experimenting with this paint line. I'm planning to become a retailer in the very near future.
I sprayed the original hardware with Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze.